No Hope of Winning the SuperMom Title

Sitting in my armchair by the fire watching a movie with the family I am feeling quite relaxed, exhausted even. This Christmas season was no different than others, there had been socializing, birthdays and so many wonderful memories.

Although I’ve enjoyed myself I have to admit I’m so ready for the girls to head back to school. I cannot believe how much work it is to keep these girls occupied, didn’t I play by myself by the age of 6 and 8?

Sisters

If only I were a better Mother; that type of Mom I read about who loves to play with their children all day and miraculously cleans her house, labels her pantry and wears matching socks.

Why didn’t I get the labeling gene?

The dark feeling begins to seep over me as I needlessly berate myself for not being SuperMom. My gaze travels around the family room, noticing the empty yoghurt cups, the discarded Lego pieces stuck under the baseboard and scissors lying beside a Barbie with a questionable new hairstyle.

Yup, it’s official I suck.

Squeals of outrage assault my ears mid-thought as my youngest expresses her anger at her sister kicking her in a way that would make Beckham proud. Pulling on my referee shirt, I quell the fight and separate the girls into their own corners on different couches, explaining that normal children can sit on one couch without beating the snot out of each other.

My voice may or may not have been sarcastic…..

Back in my quiet place by the fire I am trying to focus my thoughts on the positive, planning something fun for us to do tomorrow after the girls come back from school.

YES! School is back in…..thank you all that is good in the universe!

I suppose that creative, active, apron-wearing fun Mom wouldn’t think these thoughts but I do.

With the rosy glow of school on the horizon I am feeling like I can cope with as much bickering as they will bring tonight.

Now I feel like SuperMom must.

Feeling fortified once again, I ignore my youngest’s natters with each scene of the movie and my eldest sneaking sips of her Father’s pop when she thinks we’re not looking. My armor is strong, tomorrow there will be silence. Tomorrow I can begin to get back into my routine without feeling like I’m running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

I am Mom, hear me roar!!!

“Hey hun, what are you doing with the girls tomorrow?” Hubby asks innocently.

Oh silly man, it’s a school day. “What do you mean, they’ll be at school.”

Hubby’s facial expression changes into that of someone facing a firing squad as he hesitantly says “Umm they’re off school until the 9th Julie.”

……

……

Nothing, my mind slams shut as I hastily pull out my laptop punching in the school board’s website much too vigorously.

As the page loads my heart race increases, my breathing is controlled and I think I may see white spots firing off in my vision.

Why is this page so bloody slow??!!!???

And there it is, right there on the calendar, January 9th return to school.

Oh for the love of all that is good in the world, somebody help me!

Closing the laptop I slowly rise from my chair.

“Where are you going?” Asks Hubby

With a baleful glance I exit the room to have a bath, finally understanding the slogan my Mum used so often as she walked towards the bathroom.

“Calgon take me away”

Bubble bath

***I wrote this in response to the following prompt to “free writing your ordinary and extraordinary moments” on Just Write with Heather***

just write

Comments

1. Regan says

Haha. I’m not *that* mom either. I was glad to send the 12 year old off to school this morning. I still have the very rambunctious 14 month old here, but at least he doesn’t talk ;)

I could never wait for school to start!!! I was never a super mom…actually a terrible homemaker. But I had fun with my kids and now they are in college and we have really good relationships (well…for the most part )

I, too, see *those* kinds of moms everywhere, but am not one of them. I loved the fact that my kids went back to school on Monday. I can only handle refereeing and directing playtime so much. You are not alone!
    jubilee recently posted..Just Write {poetry}My Profile

I, too, am not so patiently waiting for the 9th to come. Today all I heard was, “Mom! Mom. Mom! Mmmmooooommmm!” ALL. DAY. LONG…. and at one point the oldest asked, “Mom, do you sometimes wish you had girls instead?” In the heat of the moment I answered “yes” but know it would not be any different with two girls instead of the two crazy, fun loving, beating each other up all the time, sons I have.

I am also not super-mom. Never will be. And will never get the Greatest Mom Award.
    Insane Mamacita recently posted..MOMables™ Review and GiveawayMy Profile

As much as I’d love to be a super mom, most days that just doesn’t happen. There’s always piles of laundry waiting to be done and a lot of things that I’d like to do. So, trust me, you are definitely not the one. I love having the kids home to spend time with them and all and the bonus sleeping in and not waking up to get them ready is a bonus.
    Nancy Polanco recently posted..Guys, We’re Getting Hitched…My Profile

6. JODI says

It’s nice to know that there are other moms’ out there just like me!!! That fireplace didn’t happen to be in my house did it??!! My kids are older, but there are still days that I feel like that.
    My only saving grace: 2 of mine went back to school yesterday—except for my college girl and all I keep hearing NOW is, “That’s not fair; why does she get a whole month off?”
    Can’t win for lose!!!

7. Lorna says

But we are the supermoms!!!

Our children are clean, fed, loved and through us are learning the ‘reality’ of the world – people get frustrated, angry, tired, etc… – It’s what we choose to do about these emotions that mold our children and prepare them for the world. We are not perfect and neither are they and they need to know this.

So I say today we salute ourselves as the true supermoms of the world.

just sayin…

8. Cee@SmookieStyle says

I’ve always wanted to be a mother, more than anything else in the world. But I don’t have a good support system – I have my husband (he’s mighty wonderful) and that’s it. We call ourselves the G-Team, us three (Smookie included) against all odds.

Some days are too much. I cry at the thought of more crushed Goldfish crackers under my stocking feet and throw up in my mouth a little when I see how MY laundry has suffered (everyone else’s gets done! but not mine!). I stink from wearing the same clothes for three days – and my hair is so dirty I wonder if it could maybe style itself.

Some days aren’t enough – when I can get the house cleaned by 10am and then play kitchen with my almost three year old until she *asks* to go for a nap. When she wakes up, she’s pleasant and wants to snuggle on the couch…those days are few and far between. But they give me hope!! That I AM doing the right thing by staying home and spending every.waking.moment with this wonderful and equally frustrating child.

I cling to hope.

And when all else fails, I silently sob in the tub for a while – until I’m all prune-like. Somehow, the water soothes me a little.

Julie I think the fact that you admit that you are not ” Super Mom” and that you battle the same things most moms do, makes you super indeed. I think the role of perfect mother needs to be tossed out into the trash. We are not perfect, and pretending to be only sets our own children up of the same feelings we all feel. I totally get Calgon and those commercials more now than ever! Enjoy the last few days thinking of me, January 9th our school board decided to make a ped day so our kids go back to school on the 10th!! lol!!
    Positively Pampered Patty recently posted..Ornament Love Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

Trackbacks