The Self-Reflection From My Bald Head

This week has been typical of any week which has followed a major event over the past few years…..a let down. I live with chronic pain issues and find that nowadays when I have a big event to attend (such as speaking or blog conference….or head shaving/ fundraiser) the week after finds me in bed.shaved-head-woman

This week is no different and to top off the exhaustion I’ve been hit with the stomach flu….thank you so much lowered immune system. Being out of commission has it’s benefits though, not only do I get to spend quality time snuggling in bed with my dog but I’ve had time to engage in some self-reflection.

Shaving my head has had a profound effect upon me, it’s given me a deep feeling of FREEDOM.

I didn’t quite expect this, I knew on an intellectual level that I’d be stripping myself of a barrier I’d become used to. What I mean is that my hair often spoke about me to strangers before I did. When you choose to sport a “funky” do like I did it leaves an impression….I don’t have that anymore.

Now when I’m walking down the aisle in the pharmacy and someone is looking at me it’s not because my awesome hair caught their eye…ok well it could be because I’m bald…..but I feel very exposed.

Bare.

Open.

It’s like the left over facade is gone and I’ve been left with my true self.

This in itself is freeing.

I had thought that I’d covered these issues over the past 2 years or so but I’ve realized that my hair was a sort of a mask for me, one that I didn’t quite recognize.

Now that it’s gone I feel wonderful, relaxed and at ease…..stomach flu aside.

I’m embracing myself today and hope that you will too……I can clearly see who/what I am and am just simply being that.

Comments

Julie, you a strong, strong woman and look radiant in your new glow.
    Hope you are feeling better, hoping we can meet up before October conferences.
    Debbie

What a wonderful post, Julie! It’s like walking downtown in your fleece pajamas because you really don’t care what anyone thinks and I LOVE that you’re embracing it. In a society that obsesses over appearance, there’s nothing more liberating than taking an action that makes it clear who you are has nothing to do with your hair, your clothes or your perfect makeup. Hurray!!
    Kathryn recently posted..Get a Buy One, Get One Free Arm & Hammer Cold Water Detergent Coupon at Websaver.ca and Take a Load OffMy Profile

Wow! you look great! Good for you, taking a daring step and proving something to yourself… :))
    Sobriety has taught me so much.. so much. Interestingly, I have learned the most in the first year and this year now.. it just keeps getting better!!!!!!!

It’s awesome not giving a crap what people think…

Take care, Julie!!!
    Darlene Steelman recently posted..Flash Fiction Friday – The DarknessMy Profile

Hope you are feeling better soon.

I know exactly how you feel. I shaved my head a few years ago and I felt liberate. I felt more beautiful than I ever have with hair and more confident. There was nothing to hide behind just me on display.

You look absolutely beautiful!

5. Soozle says

Amen to that.

One of the hardest things in life (or so I have found) is to be truly comfortable in your own skin.. that, unfortunately, has been my personal cross to bear.. I can only hope one day I can be as comfortable as you with being free being myself!

Get well soon! :-)

And here I was thinking of hacking my hair off and sporting a bob in an attempt to drop my mask….however you wanna see it though, you are beautiful without the hair. So maybe that’s what people are staring at.
    Sandra recently posted..Facing the crappinessMy Profile