Our family LOVES to play video games! We are always interested in the newest gaming systems and games that hit the market. With 4 very different people the preferences vary but we really enjoy spending time with the kids playing games. My very first game I ever owned was Super Mario Brothers…man I spent hours with friends trying to master that one!
This Christmas I’m giving my family the newest version of the Nintendo system, the Wii U. Between my interests in adult friendly games to my youngest daughter and Barbie’s Puppy Rescue, this is definitely a few steps up from the classic. Picture Christmas day with a little friendly competition between teens and Splatoon or Mario Tennis Ultra Smash; those are lasting memories.
Take a peek below at some of the newest Nintendo bundles and games this season for a fun-filled holiday.
Wii U Deluxe Sets come with everything you need to get started, including the Wii U GamePad controller. Plus, it includes at least one game, at no additional cost!
Wii U™ GamePad
The Wii U™ GamePad controller removes the traditional barriers between you, your games, and your TV by creating a second window into the video game world. It incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 aspect ratio LCD touch screen, as well as traditional button controls and two analog sticks.
The GamePad also includes motion control, a front-facing camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, rumble features, a sensor bar, a stylus, and support for Near Field Communication (NFC).
Viewing gameplay on your TV and the Wii U GamePad
Watch the Virtual Tour HERE and realize what you’ve been missing.
Compatible with Amiibo, the Mario experience of your dreams has arrived and is bursting with creativity… including yours! Play a near-limitless number of intensely creative Super Mario levels from players around the world. It’s easy enough to create your own levels with the Wii U GamePad controller that it may feel like you’re simply sketching out your ideas on paper, but you can now bring enemies and objects into a playable course in ways you could only dream of before. What was impossible in traditional Mario games is now impossibly fun, so let your imagination run wild!
- Play a near-limitless number of Mario levels created by Nintendo and players around the world.
- Create your own Mario levels by using the Wii U GamePad controller touch screen to add enemies, blocks, pipes and more.
- Break the conventions of traditional Super Mario gameplay by blending enemies, traps and items into unexpected twists, like Piranha Plant-shooting cannons, power-up-tossing Lakitus, or even Hammer Bros. riding on Bowser while bouncing on trampolines.
- Touch control, instant editing and a robust online ranking and search system makes creating, playing and sharing a seamless process.
- Switch between four distinct themes, each with different art styles and features: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and New Super Mario Bros. U.
- Transform into different characters at random with the new Mystery Mushroom item. Expand the roster of possible characters by completing 100 Mario Challenge mode or tapping compatible amiibo..
- Transform into different characters at random with the new Mystery Mushroom item. Expand the roster of possible characters by completing 100 Mario Challenge mode or tapping compatible amiibo.
- Tap a 30th Anniversary Mario amiibo figure to the Wii U GamePad controller to add a Big Mushroom power-up to your course!
Mario’s style has evolved throughout his many adventures and challenges. This blocky, classic look harkens back to his design in the original Super Mario Bros.™ game that launched for the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1985. His blue overalls and red shirt represent his modern colour scheme, and are mixed with the retro aesthetic of the original game.
Amiibo Features – Pick your Favourite Character to interact within Amiibo compatible games.
- Transform into different character costumes with the new Mystery Mushroom item. Expand the roster of possible costumes by completing the 100 Mario Challenge mode or tapping compatible amiibo™ accessories.
- Tap a 30th Anniversary Mario™ amiibo figure to the Wii U™ GamePad controller to add a Big Mushroom power-up to your course!
Compatible with Amiibo, Mario Kart 8 allows you to race upside-down and along walls on anti-gravity tracks in the most action-fueled Mario Kart™ game yet! Take on racers across the globe and share videos of your greatest moments via Mario Kart TV.*
Driving up a waterfall or across the ceiling can provide an intense adrenaline rush, but that’s not all anti-gravity is good for. It also provides a wild new gameplay mechanic: if you collide into other racers in zero-g, you’ll earn speed boosts worth bragging about. Luckily, you can upload and share your best moments and watch your friends’ using the all-new Mario Kart TV.* Returning features include 12-player online play*, gliders, underwater racing, motorbikes, and custom karts. You can even race as Bowser’s seven minions, the Koopalings!
- Race along walls and upside-down on twisting anti-gravity racetracks!
- Share highlight videos of your greatest moments with friends via the Mario Kart TV feature and Miiverse™*
- Race and battle with friends locally* or connect online to play with random players from around the world*
- Fan favorite features from past Mario Kart™ games include gliders, underwater racing, motorbikes, mid-air tricks, and more
- For the first time ever, play as all seven of Bowser’s minions, the Koopalings!
- Crisp HD graphics and fluid animation offers players the most visually stunning Mario Kart™ yet
Compatible with Amiibo, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash allows you to compete with friends in the multiplayer Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash game on the Wii U system. Along with the fun and dynamic gameplay known to the franchise, surprise your opponents with a new move to the series, the Jumpshot, which sends the ball flying down the court. Change the sport up with new Mega Battles, using the Mega Mushroom to gain an advantage over the competition. Claim your spot in Mario Tennis lore in singles (1v1) or doubles (2v2) as you play with and against family, friends or the CPU using returning and new characters to the series.
- Compete with friends in the multiplayer Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash game on the Wii U system.
- Play against friends and family in multiplayer matches.
- Play against friends and family in both singles (1v1) and doubles (2v2) matches as your favorite Mushroom Kingdom character.
- Control your character’s every movement on the court, using precise timing and the correct shot to outwit your opponent.
- Use the new Jumpshot technique to return shots like never before.
- In Mega Battles, get the Mega Mushroom to gain a “big” advantage over your competition.
- New characters make their Mario Tennis debut.
Compatible with Amiibo, Splatoon offers the ability to splatter enemies and claim your turf as the ink-spewing, squid-like characters called Inklings in Nintendo’s new third-person action shooter game for the Wii U console.
Compete in four-on-four matches, in which the goal is to get your ink on as many places as possible and claim your turf, all while strategically submerging yourself in your team’s colors and blasting your enemies. This is a colorful and chaotic online third-person action shooter – exclusively on Wii U.
New weapons, modes, maps, gear, and more have been added to Splatoon, with more rolling out through summer 2015. Plus, regularly scheduled Splatfest events let you choose a side and battle your way to victory with other players around the world!
Online* team matchmaking:
- Create a squid squad with your friends in Squad Battle mode.
- Join up to seven friends in Private Battles—you choose the map and the rules.
- Get teamed up with other players for 4 vs. 4 matches in Turf War or Ranked Battle modes.
- Ramp up the intensity with Ranked Battle modes which include three rotating modes: Splat Zones, Tower Control, and Rainmaker
- Play to win and boost your player ranking or level, or get in-game currency to spend on gear upgrades.
Think while you ink
- Strategy is everything. Defeat enemies to splatter them in an explosion of ink, covering more turf for your team. But choose wisely: Players who only go after the enemy might find their turf redecorated in their enemies’ colors.
- Refill ink tanks, hide from opponents or move faster by turning into a squid and diving intoink with the tap of a button.
- Covering more territory with ink unlocks powered-up super weapons that can be used to attack rivals or cover more turf.
More ways to play
- Select between multiple control options on the Wii U GamePad controller, including using gyroscopic controls to look around, allowing for better aiming and control.
- Hone your skills in Octo Valley, the single-player mode that will have you inking, splatting, and squidding through platforming puzzles as you take on the Octarian army.
- Battle a friend one-on-one at home in a balloon-splatting contest in Battle Dojo.
Soon to be released, December 17th, Minecraft: Wii U Edition will be the talk among the tweens on your list. Explore randomly-generated worlds and build amazing things from the simplest of homes to the grandest of castles. Play in Creative Mode with unlimited resources or mine deep into the world in survival mode, crafting weapons and armour to fend off the dangerous mobs.
Craft, create, and explore alone, or with up to four players in split-screen and up to eight online.
For other Holiday Gift ideas, head over to our Holiday Gift Guide to find that perfect gift on your list.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. All opinions are 100% my own.