It’s the Holiday season and if your house is like ours, there’s often last-minute company arriving for a visit. When I get the heads up that someone’s on the way, I find I’m frantically looking around the house noticing how GROSS it’s gotten. Why is it that I only notice the dust on a ceiling fan when guests are on their way?
I’ve compiled some cleaning tips for when company is coming to help reduce the stress. These babies help me to stay calm and not tear apart the house as I freak out during the Holiday season.
10 Cleaning Tips for When Company Is Coming
- Use a Pillow Case for Dusting – If you have a ceiling fan, you’ll know that it’s a pain in the neck to dust it without having the dust fall all over the room. One way to beat this is to slide a pillowcase over the fan blade and slowly pull towards you. This keeps all the dust inside the pillow case.
- Use Dryer Sheet to Get Soap & Hard Water Marks off – When you have soap or hard water marks on your shower doors, don’t spend hours scrubbing. Just take used dryer sheets, wet them and wipe it away.
- Get the Grime off of Kitchen Cabinets – To make it easy to get that grime off, dampen a sponge and put it into the microwave for 20 seconds to get it hot. Take another sponge, use Pine-Sol to wipe the cabinets and the use the hot sponge to wipe it off. The Pine-Sol cuts through grease and grime ad has fantastic fragrances that are long-lasting. The finishing hot wipe makes it all shiny and new.
- Don’t let Pet Fur Get You Down – If you have couches covered in fur, try sprinkling carpet cleaning powder on them and let it sit for a while before vacuuming. This will help pick it up. You can also put on some rubber gloves and wipe most of it off, the plastic gloves help.
- Use Coffee Filters for Dust – When your TV or computer screens are dusty, use a coffee filter to dust them when you don’t have a microfiber cloth handy.
- Get Your Glasses & Cutlery Clean Quickly – All too often I find that my cutlery and glassware have watermarks on them. The fastest way to make them sparkle is to wipe them with vinegar. If you’re short on time and have a large amount to do, fill the sink with water and drop in some vinegar and leave to soak for a bit. Wipe dry and voila!
- Dust Up High the Easy Way – Take a broom, wrap a damp cloth over the bristles and secure with a rope. This is a great tool to help you to dust crown mouldings and high corners.
- Dust those Lampshades – Dust on a lampshade can be really difficult to get off but try using a lint brush – works like a charm!
- Watermarks on Wood? – Don’t despair – get some toothpaste and rub away with a gentle cloth. Soon you’ll see the white ring disappear.
- Don’t Forget Countertop Appliances – Guests notice things and the last thing you want them to remember are the crumbs all over the toaster or food splatter inside the microwave. Make sure to take time to wipe it all down!
This post has been sponsored by Pine-Sol. For more information on Pine-Sol and how it brings value to your home, visit the Pine-Sol website. All opinions are my own.