For most of us, the current situation of 2020 wasn’t on our list of expectations. My saving grace really has been the fact I am a stay-at-home mom. I give 100% to my family and thankfully, our routine hasn’t been upended too much.
That being said, Chicken Farmers of Canada knows how important family is. They know that we need to stay safe and healthy at home during this time of isolation and social distancing. With that in mind, they have created #CoopedUp, which offers kid-friendly recipes and tips for navigating through our day-to-day!
Staying Safe and Healthy at Home
One of my absolute favourite ways to cook is using the slow cooker. Chicken Farmers of Canada has a list of great slow cooker recipes perfect for a good family meal at home! The recipe I am eyeing is for Chicken Marrakesh. We may not be able to go anyway, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the Moroccan flavours!
In the spirit of bringing back a family meal favourite, I will be making my Honey Garlic Chicken Skewers. These were a huge hit for dinner and you can never go wrong with chicken! My mouth is watering just looking at the gorgeous photo!
The tip on #CoopedUp that I feel I most needed to hear about was snacking. It can be tough enough being at home and right next to the kitchen. Add to that 2 teenager girls, 2 elderly parents and a husband, and you have snack-ocalypse 2020. We are definitely doing our best to stick with the healthier options in the kitchen!
Make sure to Snack Healthy During Your Day!
One thing my girls struggle with is occupying their time productively while indoors. They tend to want to be on their devices. While I don’t mind them enjoying their devices, a change in the routine helps to keep our minds fresh and active. I have come up with a list of some of the ways my girls and I stay interactive with each other!
Activities With Teenagers at Home!
- Play board games – This is something that I have always enjoyed with the kids. If we have the right game, we can play for hours. It is a great way to reconnect as well.
- Go through old photos – Nothing brings back memories like sharing them again with each other. Seeing all the family memories brought back-to-life makes for a great family experience as well!
- Build a pillow fort – I will admit that even as an adult, I still love a good pillow fort. Our dog, Olive, also finds a pillow fort the best way for human snuggle time!
- Have an at-home spa day – This idea is super fun and easy. You can spend time doing each other’s hair and nails. It eats up a lot of time and you will all look even more fabulous than when the day started!
- Cook as a family – This one is the easiest of all. Get the kids involved in meal time. They can help cut, grate, etc. Plus, this is a great way to get your kids talking!
One kid-friendly classic that my girls still enjoy is Baked Chicken Nuggets! These take no time at all and the girls can help in preparation. Plus, they are something the whole family enjoys eating. Throw in a good movie and you have dinner and a movie at home!
While I can’t say how long at-home isolation and social distancing with last, I can say that we are in this together. Check out the #CoopedUp page and get yourself on track for some fabulous family time!