Ask my kids what appetizer they want and you’ll hear a resounding yell for Spanokapitas! This is a lovely appetizer recipe which anyone can make and oh man it’s freaking amazing! I learned this recipe many years ago from my Mother In Law and her girlfriend at the very first Christmas gathering at their home that I went to. I’m almost embarrassed to think back and count how many of these babies I gorged on that day.
They’re light, fluffy and jammed with delicious flavours which seemed to call to me! I blame the cheese.
So…if you haven’t worked with phyllo pastry yet, don’t be intimidated. It’s all about the butter and working fast. Make sure you set up your workstation well and you’re sure to succeed.
Spanokapita Recipe – a Lovely Appetizer
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic (or more if you’d like), diced
- 1 1/2 cups spinach, cooked, drained and chopped
- 400 grams feta cheese
- 8 0z package of cream cheese
- 1 package phyllo pastry
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Saute onion, garlic spinach in 1 table spoon butter in pan on medium heat until soft
- Transfer mixture to bowl and add in feta, cream cheese and mix until well blended
- Melt butter in bowl and have a basting brush on hand
- Unroll phyllo pastry. Place 1 piece on cutting board and keep the rest on hand under a damp tea towel. Remember to be gentle when touching the phyllo, it’s delicate.
- Brush melted butter onto 1 piece of phyllo pastry once fully moistened lay another piece of phyllo pastry on top.
- Cut the pastry into strips approximately 2 inches wide. You can how I’ve cut mine in the photos below.
- Place a scoop of the filling and place it at the end of one phyllo row
- Next take a corner of the phyllo row and bring it to the flat side, creating a triangle shape. Take the point of the triangle closest to you and fold it over to the other flat side. Repeat this until you are left with a triangular pastry
- Brush melted butter over the entire surface and gently smooth any pieces down.
- Continue this process until you are out of either filling or phyllo pastry.
- Line your triangular pastries on a baking sheet and place into the over at 400 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until browned.
VOILA you have the most gorgeous Spanakopitas!
In case you find this confusing…I’ve done a YouTube video to show you the process! I hope you enjoy it.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.